Five Reasons to Replace Your Windows
Replacing your home’s windows can seem like a task that is not your top priority, but the benefits you can gain will make a huge difference. Over time, windows need to be replaced, just like your appliances or roof shingles. Don’t wait until the weather gets cold, now is a good time to take a look at your windows and determine if they will need to be replaced.
1. Energy Efficiency If you are starting to notice your energy bills are going up, you might want to take a look at your windows to see if they are the cause of the problem. Window replacement is a common recommendation among construction professionals as a way to improve energy efficiency. According to a study on the energy performance of residential windows, new windows reduce annual heating and cooling costs by 22%. Although new windows are an investment, they will save you money in the long run. Now is the time to swap out your old windows with double-pane, energy-efficient windows.
2. Window Defects If you start to notice any defects in your windows, such as small cracks or chips, it is a good time to replace your windows. Leaving a crack will only cause more damage in the future. Some problems include air leaks, water leaks, and letting in small insects. Visible cracks also weaken the strength of your window. Having a crack or broken window can cause a lot of problems down the road. It is a good idea to replace them sooner rather than later to save money.
3. Security Windows are an entry and exit point to your home so windows that aren't opening or locking correctly pose a security risk. Some signs that burglars might look for to identify vulnerable windows include old or wooden windows, windows with cracks, or condensation in windows. You also don’t want small critters like bugs or chipmunks getting through window openings.
4. Curb Appeal Updating your windows might seem odd to increase your curb appeal, but instead of simply focusing on changing the outer appearance of your home, be sure to incorporate changes that add into your home’s structural integrity and energy efficiency. For instance, if your window frames have rotted then you’re ready for new windows. They will not only improve the functionality of your home, but the appearance too. Installing new windows will increase the value of your home and make it more appealing.
5. Value If you’re thinking of selling your home in a few years, replacing the windows can help your home stand out in a crowded market, plus raise its value before you list your home. Some buyers love buying homes that are not only move-in ready, but updated with modern amenities. New windows improve your home’s marketability and help you command a higher selling price.
If you have old windows in your home or are planning on listing your home soon, now is the time to replace your windows.